Advocacy and action for current issues affecting women and girls
Massachusetts residents: To find out who your representative is or to track a bill in the Massachusetts legislature, use this link.
2017-2019 Public Policy Priorities
- To support a strong system of public education that promotes gender fairness, equity, and diversity
- To achieve economic self-sufficiency for all women
- To guarantee equality, individual rights and social justice for a diverse society
Priorities encompass issues in education, such as breaking through barriers for women and girls in STEM fields; Title IX enforcement, affirmative action, employment, career development and pay equity, dependent care, affordable housing, health care access, and environmental protection.
Among other issues, at the state level, AAUW-MA has supported
- updated Massachusetts Equal Pay Law that went into effect July 1, 2018 (https://www.mass.gov/massachusetts-equal-pay-law)
- gender equitable programs for girls with Girls’ Coalition of Greater Boston and girls in technology programs with Girls Inc. of Lynn
- increased state funding of public education, in alliance with the Campaign for Fair School Finance
- state funding for programs affecting women’s health and employment in partnership with the MA Commission on the Status of Women
- gender-neutral insurance policies with the League of Women Voters
- access to emergency contraception (EC) comprehensive family planning services and reproductive choice, with the MA Coalition for Choice
- opposition to the proposed constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage
In addition, local branches have advocated for public policy issues within their communities, often in collaboration with other organizations.