Advocacy and action for current issues affecting women and girls
In addition to Tools for Action, there is an opportunity to become part of the Political Action Corps. This is a state-sponsored initiative, with a focus on advocacy and public policy that supports women and girls. Members who take part will lobby policy makers via email, phone calls, and letter writing. If you are not already a part of the Action Corps, please contact AAUW-MA Public Policy Chair to learn what you can do to improve the lives of women and girls.
Massachusetts residents: To find out who your representative is or to track a bill in the Massachusetts legislature, use this link. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the buttons, Find My Legislator or Search Bills.
Action Priorities for 2011-2013 are
- To support a strong system of public education that promotes gender fairness, equity, and diversity
- To achieve economic self-sufficiency for all women
- To guarantee equality, individual rights and social justice for a diverse society
Priorities encompass issues in education, Title IX enforcement, affirmative action, employment, career development and pay equity, dependent care, affordable housing, health care access, and environmental protection.
Among other issues, at the state level, AAUW-MA has supported
- gender equitable programs for girls with Girls’ Coalition of Greater Boston and girls in technology programs with Girls Inc. of Lynn
- increased state funding of public education, in alliance with the Campaign for Fair School Finance
- state funding for programs affecting women’s health and employment in partnership with the MA Commission on the Status of Women
- gender-neutral insurance policies with the League of Women Voters
- access to emergency contraception (EC) comprehensive family planning services and reproductive choice, with the MA Coalition for Choice
- opposition to the proposed constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage
In addition, local branches have advocated for public policy issues within their communities, often in collaboration with other organizations.